augustine started gymnastics camp today. it goes 3 hours per day for one week. the other option was 45 minutes once per week for 3 months or something like that. i dont think olive would really be interested in sitting still for 45 minutes watching auggie do fun stuff so the 3 hour option, wherein you drop the child off and come back when they are done, is the route we're going. today he had a good time though just from what i saw, about 30 minutes of it before i left, i was underwhelmed with their staff. it was clear that all of the other kids (all girls ill add, what the heck?) had taken some sort of class before this one. augustine had not. so when the teacher said "okay everybody let's get into a straddle position and stretch!" and all the other kids popped down with their legs out while auggie looked bemused i think she should have shown him what she was talking about. nope. she just went on stretching with the group while auggie looked back and forth from the girls around him to me and to the instructor then back to me as if to say "what the heck did you sign me up for!?" whatever. maybe im reading into it too much (yes) but i hate seeing my child confused or feeling left out. the class was not above him developmentally it was just little stuff like that that the instructor could have remedied but instead ignored. maybe she thought he was just being defiant?
gosh i have so much to say about the topic of gardening but no time to sit and hash out REAL entries and thoughts these days. just imagine me researching and reading as much as i can in every second of my free time. i cannot condense is all but how about i just do some quick snippets and links? that's pretty much all i can muster.
- Vertical Gardens - 20x the yield, 5% the water
- I want to go to the 2008 Community Garden Conference (i also am thinking of hitting up the conservatory for grant money for the justice gardens. they are really really into this sort of thing)
- Freedom Gardens - I got lost in this site all day in between typing reports. some eye candy from them:
the following video is from an offshoot of the above freedom gardens (path to freedom)
- Food Shed Planet is trying to sign up 2,000,000 home gardens in their database by the end of this year. it's exciting to see it grow!
- Why yes, I would like to move in here