Monday, November 03, 2008

por vida recap

por vida was a lot of fun. i've never celebrated the day of the dead before, ive always mistaken it for another halloween. *buzzer noise* a lot of it was very very serious. there was an alter wherein people placed mementos of loved ones who had passed away (i brought a small stained glass window that someone gave my grandpa when my grandma died and i inherited when he died, and the program from beatrix's memorial service.) there was also a wall where you could write a note to a passed on loved one and clip it onto a long string. by the end of the night it was fully covered, some of the notes were heartbreaking. to grandparents, lovers, parents, children, oh so heart breaking. i wrote a note for renee, beatrix, and each of my four grandparents. (im still shocked to think that i am grandparent-less even after all these years). i was pleased at the somber attitude about such things intermingled with the more light hearted things going on. lots of yummy food (pattycake vegan bakery cookies! cupcakes! sweetbreads! sugar skulls!), and sweeeeeet art. i wish i had money to purchase art. years ago we bought a bunch of derek hess pieces and they just are not us anymore. what does one do with such stuff now? i dont want it to go to waste but alas, there is no art recycling program.

i ran into an exboyfriend there. he being the only guy besides david that ive been really serious with. i said hello and in a too-loud voice he replied cordially but stiffly. instantly that awkwardness translated that i always had feared - that i had seriously wounded this guy back in the day. i felt terrible, wanted to hug the guy or pat him on the back but that would have proven infinity worse right? i felt like a turd off and on the rest of the evening thinking about it. is there an ecard for "sorry i broke up with you years and years ago but it was for the best and i dont regret it even if it hurt you?" the tagline seems a little long so im just going to say no on this one.

9 comments:

rocket.queen. said...

You can't resell the Hess stuff? I had a friend obsessed with his art.

Day of the Dead is beautiful. Being from Texas I was exposed to it a bit more and always liked the idea behind it.

Olive said...

i havnt put a ton of thought or effort into parting with it honestly. i guess i am discouraged since they are heavy from being professionally framed and mounted so shipping them i feel would dissuade a buyer who isnt local and i havnt any friends that i know of who are interested.

rocket.queen. said...

Hmm, there is always craigslist or ebay, I suppose.

Hannah said...

Freecycle?

meridith said...

if such an ecard exists it's probably here: www.someecards.com

Olive said...

meredith i love that site. they have the most hilarious stuff!

Radiantsun said...

I love syncronicity....I JUST saw this guy at a wedding that always tried to "get with me" (what is that really called?) in high school and I had this weird feeling like I shouldn't say anything to him and then I realized it was because I was kind of mean to him the last time I saw him. Because he just wouldn't give up! I keep thinking about how bad I feel about being kind of cold towards him and then I read this. I'm glad other people think this way too!

Anonymous said...

I don't think you'd have any problem selling your derek hess pieces. He just had a show at Mahan this past year, and the place was packed out. Hey, I might even buy some :) Art is hard to part with sometimes, though.

Olive said...

missp - if you want some let me know. email me and ill show you what i have. if you know anyone who wants any let me know too! i dont even know how to get the goodies to the type of people who would want it. they are mounted and heavy so ebay (shipping) might not work