Saturday, October 11, 2008

advent conspiracy



my brother's have a really really funny joke that i plan for my birthday starting december 5th (my birthday is december 4th) HA. HA. HA? they just love razzing me and they take every opportunity, every family get together to mention that "hey, jenny's birthday is only 9 (or whatever) months away, we've got to get planning!" but this year i declare it here and now DO NOT GET ME ANYTHING. i certainly will not turn down gifts, my mother in law years ago imparted to me the wisdom that accepting a gift is blessing the giver so to refuse one is wrong. but! i ask, beg, plead with my loved ones here and now spend that money and effort wisely. here are some worthy places you might dole out your funds if the urge is too great.

Kiva.org
Kiva.org is a website wherein you can safely loan money to the working poor for the sake of alleviating poverty. i will also note that this site is a finalist for the Members' Project, a competition for a $1.5 million prize. if you are a member i urge you to go to kiva's website and vote for this project to win!!


World Vision

this organization is most famous for sponsoring children but did you know you can do all of the following and more through them as well?
- donate animals to communities in need ($12 - $3590)
- provide clean water ($20 - $18000)
- give hope to children sold into the sex trade industry ($20-$2950)
- provide relief from the HIV/AIDS epidemic ($25 - $14489)
- send children to school in africa ($16 - $22000)


8 comments:

saylor days said...

yay amen! reposting the video, first time hearing of adventconspiracy but i'm so hopping on that bandwagon

Maria. said...

What a wonderful video, thank you for posting it Jenny!

JoEllen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JoEllen said...

I showed this video to some close friends and we were pretty stunned by how closely this hit home. ouch. Thank you for sharing it.

rachaeldear said...

when i was a kid, someone showed me an animated film of what it would be like if christmas was every day... its a fuzzy memory but i think i remember people going so broke that they began to give potatoes as gifts.
i'm sort-of challenging myself to make all my gifts this year... only made about 1/4 of all my gifts last year. dont really have an option this year as i'll have only crumbs left over from a school loan!

Unknown said...

My DH and I decided this year to give each of our children three gifts. Three nice, not extravegent gifts that they would want/use. Last year I put the gifts under the tree, and counted them, 17 per child...and seriously thought to myself, maybe even said alound "is 17 enough?" Today they play with two of those toys. We are creating memories this year and traditions, three was enough for Jesus, it's enough for my kids!

Unknown said...

My DH and I decided this year to give each of our children three gifts. Three nice, not extravegent gifts that they would want/use. Last year I put the gifts under the tree, and counted them, 17 per child...and seriously thought to myself, maybe even said alound "is 17 enough?" Today they play with two of those toys. We are creating memories this year and traditions, three was enough for Jesus, it's enough for my kids!

Olive said...

oh lyn what a great idea!