Sunday, October 19, 2008

final, period! at least i think

you don't want to hear about my politics so i won't go into great deal but i really feel cemented into a final theory and plan for what, who, if i'm going to vote for/on on november 4th. but again, i won't get into it - well unless you want to know in which case i'd be perfectly fine engaging in an off-the-blog discussion on the matter. i will leave you with the following from Jesus for President (which if you are a christian and are politically minded, i strongly encourage you to read!) this is an excerpt from the book where shane claiborne responds to the implication that he is anti-american or a traitor following his time in baghdad during the bombing

If this bloody, counterfeit liberation is American...
I am proud to be un-American

If this depleted uranium is American...
I am proud to be un-American

If US sanctions are American...
I am proud to be un-American

If the imposed "peace" of Pax Americana is American...
I am proud to be un-American



But if grace, humility, and nonviolence is American...
I am proud to be American

If sharing to create a safe, sustainable world is American...
I am proud to be American

If loving our enemies is American...
I am proud to be American.



Regardless, I would die for the people of New York, but I will not kill for them... my kingdom is not of this world.

I would die for the people of Baghdad, but I will not kill for them... my kingdom is not of this world. I will stand in the way of terror and war... my kingdom is not of this world.

I will pledge allegiance deeper than nationalism, to my God and to my family... my kingdom is not of this world. I will use my life to shout, "Another world is possible"... for my kingdom is from another place. "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would not fight... but now my kingdom is from another place" (Jesus; John 18:36)


i have christian and secular anarchist friends, conservative and liberal democrat and republican friends and family, libertarian, on and on. and i must say that i am very happy to have friends all across the board of belief and not for a minute has it come between us as brothers and sisters. i hope this has been your experience as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honk- I was literally just sitting here trying to write my 1st blog post and I realized that I am completely turned off by politics as a whole. The phrase "agendas are dangerous" has been on my mind a great deal lately. Everyone is trying to "push" my allegiances this way and that way with clever wording and subtle avoidance of direct answers. UGoGirl. Bubby

Anonymous said...

Ahem..
So I tend to lurk around your blog and I had to be like !!! when I read this because I've been stuck on John 18 for a long time it seems. I haven't read the book, but I've heard of it/Clairborne and read after him here and there and admire. When I am so honest with myself, I read John 18 and wonder if I had not been weilding swords in the Garden with Peter around verses 10 and 11. When I read "If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews;" it seems to me that I need a better revelation of the Kingdom because in my zealous heart, I feel like I would have been among those who expected Jesus' feet on the earth to overthrow the tiring government of the day. "I would die for the people of Baghdad, but I would not kill for them" resonates with me so, I of course am not going to draw a sword or machine gun any time ever, but doesn't the Kingdom stir up such passion, enough passion to take a sword to the ear of theology and politics?

Anyway, if we were like, friends in real life, or whatever, I bet these would be the things we'd talk about.